Monday, May 31, 2010

PANCAKES vs. pancakes

For the last month or so Bryan and I have fallen into a little bit of a bad habit each Sunday morning. We have been enjoying homemade buttermilk pancakes instead of our typical eggs and oatmeal. On these "cheat day" Sunday mornings I'd always make eggs to go along with the pancakes in an attempt to be slightly healthier, but could rarely get Bryan to eat any of them. He would take full advantage of a very yummy yet full on bad for you breakfast...Aunt Jemima and all!! I'd end up eating all of the eggs and a pancake or two with watered down pure maple syrup yet still feel horribly guilty.

This past Sunday I just couldn't eat the buttermilk pancakes again. I'm trying so hard to get the rest of this baby weight off and I knew that meal certainly would not help! Instead I opted for some healthy pancakes that I'd forgotten I had a recipe for. I even somehow managed to get Bryan to try a bite, though that's all he would have. He wasn't a fan. He's always said that if he's going to eat pancakes, he's going to eat the real deal. Ahh well, it was worth a shot. I personally like to stick to a healthy diet filled with variety. With these pancakes I never feel sluggish or guilty after eating them. I even top them with raw organic butter and watered down pure maple syrup. Sometimes I'll slice a few bananas or strawberries on top for a bit of a change. They are delicious, especially for being healthy!

Below is my recipe for the healthy pancakes. 

OATMEAL PANCAKES

1/2 cup oal fashioned oatmeal
1/4 cup low fat cottage cheese
4 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Process the oatmeal, cottage cheese, egg whites, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a blender or food processor until smooth. 

Spray a nonstick skillet with cooking spray. (I use organic coconut oil.)  Add the batter and cook over medium heat until both sides are lightly browned.  

Serves 1 - Nutritional Facts Per Serving

288 calories
28 g protein
32 g carbs
4 g fat
5 g fiber

No comments:

Post a Comment